At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ryan's Room in Kai's Room

These tiny wooden people and their household have been packed in a box for the past five years while we moved around the countryside. They now live in Kai's room, on his bottom two closet shelves (until I find them a new house).  I love these dolls because they are durable and unisex*.  

It's interesting to watch how Kai plays with these dolls and furniture as opposed to me or the girls.  My girls and I would be all about setting up the rooms and posing the dolls.  Kai couldn't care less that the bed is in the kitchen and the toilet is in the living room.  And to him, the home is not complete without a few matchbox cars scattered here and there.  


*Even if they were girly, I'd love for Kai to play "house" with them.  Some of you may not agree with boys playing with "girl" toys.  That's OK.  There's a fabulous children's book by Charlotte Zolotow entitled, "William's Doll".   For every parent with a son, it's worth a read--and then a good, long think. 

5 comments:

Sandita said...

Oooooooh Chels!!! Melt my heart! He is the most precious thing ever......what a sweet and tender boy

Char said...

"if you wonder how you treat your spouse, watch your children playing house" What a sweet little man! I'd say you passed with flying colors!

Char said...

"If you wonder how you treat your spouse, watch your children playing house" What a sweety! I'd say you passed with flying colors.

liseli said...

I agree, dolls are for boys, too.
Kai is so sweet :)

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

I can't believe we've been apart for so long. I've completely missed Kai learning to talk. Makes me so sad! :( He is such an angel... I can't wait to see you!