At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Cars all over his shirt

Kids (bless their little tactless hearts) are not quiet or discreet.  When they "whisper" their mothers, "Mom!  Look at that boy.  He's soo little...and fat!"  or, "What's wrong with that boy, Mom?" They don't realize that I can hear them.  And someday Kai will notice, too.  I just hope he's as amused by it as I am.  


And the moms.  Bless their little trying-so-hard-to-not-show-embarrassment-while-also-trying-to-find-the-most-politically-correct-way-to-explain-to-their-children-about-physical-differences hearts.  I feel sorry for them.  They know I can hear their child.  They got so flustered and try so hard to shush the commenting.  Sometimes I try to catch the mom's eye and smile reassuringly.  Sometimes I'll take Kai over to meet the boy or girl.  Sometimes I smile to myself and pretend not to have heard.  


Yesterday a little boy and his mom were leaving the library as we were entering.  The boy, after passing us, said loudly to his mom, "Mom!  Did you see that boy?" ...and I took a breath.  I was sure about what was coming next.  But I was wrong. "He had cars all over his shirt*!"  It was a refreshing thing to hear.  




*Scroll down.  It's the gaudy yellow one that matches his best friend Shad's.  It was supposed to only be a pajama shirt but he loves it so much...


2 comments:

Kerri said...

LOVE IT!!!! it's great to be surprised happily by people when most of the time they surprise us with their ignorance! My Lexie would be one of the "other" kids you're talking about. we have been surrounding her with LP's (from tv shows to LPA regionals) and the other day in the store we saw a man who has dwarfism and she screams "hey mom there's a little person......hi little person!!! little person hi!!!" He never even looked our way....i was embarassed and proud of my little girl all at the same time!!

liseli said...

Beautiful. Sometimes people surprise you in a good way. :)