At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Parenting, Illustrated with Rudimentary Renderings

I just discovered this blog and I love it.  Parenting is such a smelly, funny, poignant and messy adventure.  I love the way Amber portrays it.  So, in honor of the Crappy Pictures blog, I present:


Parenting, Illustrated with Rudimentary Renderings:


Post Number One:
If My Children Were Shapes


Let me explain.  Anyone who has breastfed a baby knows that there is a significant amount of time spent awake sitting in the dark in a not-entirely-lucid-but-definitely-not-asleep haze* while a tiny human is attached to you, contentedly dozing and eating at the same time (oh the luxury!).  It is during this time that you a) revisit the day's events, often embellishing them in your favor, b) make life-altering decisions and set stiff personal goals, or c) decide what shapes best represent your children.


Kai, at the time, was undoubtedly a circle.  What a chub!  Hailey, my then-three-year-old was obviously a rectangle.  Athletic and strong, she had (and still has) the makings of a fantastic gymnast.  And then there's Ashleigh, the stick.  All legs and arms, that one.  


In my sleep-deprived delirium that night, I thought I'd struck on something genius.  I remember proudly telling some member of my family (one of my childless sisters) who was not that impressed.  After telling her I just felt dumb.


Fast forward twelve hours, when, once again experiencing midnight nursing dimentia, I re-invent her as a shape: A plump pear.


  






*Amber has a story for that, too!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

too funny. I miss your kids. and you too. :)

Kim said...

I have cuaght up on your posts. Kai walking-YAY! He is so incredibly cute. I'm sure you love on him all day long. He is just precious. I almost cannot handle the cuteness of the flower behind his ear. SO CUTE! He is going to be a heartbreaker.