At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Music in the Canyon

Kai and I have been having so much fun so far this summer.  We pretty much live at the splash park.  Tonight was the inaugural Music in the Canyon concert, the first in a series of free concerts throughout the summer.  

Meet Rebecca.  We didn't know her before the concert.  She was sitting in front of us with her friends, listening to the music and minding her own business...until Kai introduced himself and wiggled his way onto her long board.  She was such a good sport and politely allowed Kai to hang around.  I watched her interact with Kai, looking for the signs that he was becoming bothersome (her ignoring him, her looking around with the "let's find your mom" face, etc.).  But they never came.  She was such a sweetheart to him.  

I took this photo with my phone so it's not high quality AT ALL (sorry, Rebecca, my intentions were good! I wanted to showcase your loveliness...)  Before she left for the evening, she graciously allowed me to take her picture.  Kai kept lifting up his shirt; I'm sure he was trying to impress her with his muscular belly...lol.

The music was good, the company was good (we went with my friend, Kate, and her three girls--always a treat to spend time with them!!)--what a great evening.  Kai and I love summer!

4 comments:

liseli said...

What girl would not be impressed by his tummy?
Happy summer:)

Kim said...

How adorable is that? You have a heartbreaker on your hands. Already scoping out the hot girls! Go Kai!

Smilen Champ said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. kai, is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined little boy. He is an inspirational hero. I have a rare bone disease, which is a form of dwarfism. I love it when people sign my geustbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

Greene Family said...

Too cute showing off his muscular belly! :) Summer concerts are always so much fun, and how great to meet wonderful people like Rebecca there! Kai sounds like quite the ladies' man!