At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Harassment

Melissa Swartley brought to my attention the following by sharing an experience that happened to her and her daughter.

Little People Harassment on ABC's What Would You Do?

This has never happened to us, but it pains my heart to think that it could; and not just that it could happen, but that I'm not always going to be there to intercede on Kai's behalf.  There are some battles Kai will have to fight on his own.  While he is young of course I will protect him but someday he'll have to go to school.  Someday he'll be grown and move away.  And it makes me sad to think that the world won't cherish his life and humanity as readily as I do.



5 comments:

Marcie said...

Kai is such a special boy, I am sure even when you aren't there to watch over him, his angels will be!

cassi said...

Thank goodness Kai has so many wonderful people in his life, who love him, and can teach him what is important in life. I'm sure Kai will be such an amazing man and won't tolerate any rude comments or behavior! We love him!! :)

Melissa Swartley said...

It's definitely a tough world out there, but I'm hopeful that with more awareness the tides will change. I pray that newer generations will be more caring and sensitive to people of different races and sizes and disabilities. For now, I just have to settle for teaching my children what is right and how to stand up for and defend themselves. They learn by watching their parents. I have no doubt that you are an awesome role model for Kai and he will do wonderful!!!

Melisa said...

I'm with Melissa on this. I don't expect my son Aidan to never be harassed in his lifetime but with our constant educating of others on this I do believe the amount of harassment will continue to drop. I love the picture of Kai on the top of your blog!

Kim said...

I am like Melissa, hoping that this world is changing. I think kids of today are much more tolerant. I even see with Preston, it seems kids are really just curious more than anything. Kai is so special and he will touch the hearts of all who know him!