At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Man Mimi

Before Kai, before John, there was me. And Ashleigh. And Hailey. And we were incredibly girly. When John joined up with us it became glaringly apparent just how girly we were. And now, three years later, we've acclimated John and Kai into it nicely.

For example:

For the girls and me, they're panties. For John and Kai, they're man-panties.

Nobody in our home "takes a wiz" or "pees". We all politely go potty.

The girls have their Mimis. Kai has his Man-mimi (or Manmi, as we sometimes abbreviate it). (Note: Mimi=blanket. It began when, at nine months old, Ashleigh dubbed her blanket "Mimi")

In fact, for anything feminine that needs to be masculinized, we usually just add "man" in front of it. Man-tutu. Man-crown. Man-doll (more commonly called 'action figure') Man-jewelry. Man-party. Man-camp.


But man-panties is my favorite. Every time I say it the girls and I can't help but giggle inside.

8 comments:

Richins Family said...

First of all, I LOVE the new blog header! He is the cutest boy in the world. Period.

Secondly, it is NOT ok for him to be getting so old. He doesn't even look like a baby anymore. He looks like a toddler. Not cool. Tell him Auntie Kiwi says to knock it off.

Thirdly, "man-panties" are my favorite, too!

Melissa Swartley said...

Too funny! I think "man panties" are my favorite too! Love the new blog header picture! Priceless! :)

Richins Family said...

Audrey saw the blog header picture and said, "Uh-oh, Kai mess!"

...And now she's talking about him: "Play Kai? Talk Kai phone? Kai? Kai? Kai?"

It's a sign. You guys need to come visit us STAT.

Greene Family said...

Too funny! Love the "man panties"! Not sure if I could get away with that here as I'm out numbered 3 to 1!

文輝 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim said...

I love the newest pics of Kai, that came after this post. Super cute. The messy mouth is just too adorable. I also love that you dub things with man infront of it. My sister and I think the term man-bag or man-purse (or now "murse") are so darn funny!

Sandita said...

Awwwwww, Chels, that boy has the sweetest face and the most beautiful eyes...that comes from his "Guapa" who is not at all bias...Ha!

Teresa & Scott said...

we call the boys underwear.... Just plain boring "Unders" I am going to have to try calling them man panties and see what scott says! hehe