At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Stunned

Today's mail*
*click to enlargeMODs: What have been your experiences with insurance and your LP child?
This letter only just came today and right now I'm feeling definitely taken aback, confused and frankly, unjustly discriminated against. If Kai were terminally ill I could understand being turned down. But he's not! He is as healthy as and has the same life expectancy as an average height child his same age. In fact, I would venture to posit that Kai is, in many ways, more healthy than an average height child his same age.
I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

8 comments:

Richins Family said...

That's flat-out ridiculous. Wow. I can't even put into words how I feel about that. Absolutely ludicrous.

melissa said...

Is this for life insurance? Because we were denied life insurance for Daphne. They said it was because of a life threatening kidney issue that she had (they noticed something with her kidney on an ultrasound before birth that turned out to be nothing) and then after us saying she had nothing wrong with her kidneys, said they were denying her because she's had surgery and infants under anesthetic is dangerous. Makes me so mad!! How can you deny someone on a pre-existing condition that you're born with??

Jewels said...

That is ridiculous! I can't believe it. I know you'll fight it. They are messing with the wrong person! ;)

Stephanie said...

Wow, I am stunned. What an awful letter. Those ignorant people should be able figure out that his condition means he'll have short stature not a short life!

Melissa Swartley said...

I completely agree with Stephanie! They should realize that his condition means he will have stort stature not short life! Uggghhh! How frustrating! We have not yet applied for any life insurance for Sonya... I'm sure it will be hell trying to get it though with all that she goes through. I'm sure other POLP will chime in here!

Kim said...

Is this for life insurance or health insurance?

Chelsea Rivas said...

Life insurance.

daionara said...

Shame on them. If I'd had a policy with them for Alex, I'd cancel it.