At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Birthday Blogging

I've procrastinated blogging about the big number ONE birthday. I didn't get any pictures at his party on Friday because I was too busy enjoying it! Luckily my sister-in-law took lots of pictures so when I get copies, I'll post them.

The party Friday was great. We raised money for Shriners (thank you to all who donated!), had cake and ice cream, and spent a large amount of time adoring the birthday boy!

Saturday (his actual birthday) was equally fantastic. Kai got some good presents (including some handsome new clothes--pictures to come).

Yesterday was his 1-year well-child check-up; complete with 5 shots. He weighs 18 lbs (3rd percentile), is 23 inches tall (0 percentile), and his head is back into the 75th percentile (he's got big brains, what can I say?).

5 comments:

Richins Family said...

I MISS KAI!!! Happy Birthday, Buddy, it sounds like it was a lot of fun. We love you!

Melissa Swartley said...

Yay!!! Happy 1st Birthday Kai!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful party and birthday! Great well check too, it sounds like you are doing very well! We can't wait to see pictures! Sonya said "Where Kai?" I showed her the last pictures and she looked at me as if she was going to say I already saw those! Too funny! Happy Happy Birthday Kai!!!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to Kai! I cannot wait to see pictures of all his new stylin' clothes. He sounds like such a little dreamboat. I am glad you got to enjoy the party!

Greene Family said...

Happy 1st Birthday Kai!! It sounds like he had a great birthday! Looking forward to seeing pictures of the birthday boy!

Dallings said...

Those 12 month percentile's sound so familiar! Happy Birthday Kai! Can't wait to see pics.