At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Yes. That is exactly what you think it is.

Yesterday while his physical therapist was here, Kai sat up unsupported for the first time. It is my personal belief that he was saving this trick for her because he has a little bit of a crush on her; he's constantly flirting and showing off for her when she's here. In this picture though, he looks like he's about to say, "I know, I'm just as surprised as you are, Mom!"






13 comments:

jessie said...

I LOVE KAI!!!! He's so cute and he makes me smile no matter what type of day I am having! Today its a ugly day but with cute baby Kai, its a great and wonderful day! Love you Kai.

Marcie said...

Yah for Kai! What a proud moment...

Nate and Stacey Stone said...

Wow, that's an awesome milestone to achieve! Go Kai!

Melisa said...

That is great news Kai!

Hall Family said...

Way to go! He is such a cutie!

Greene Family said...

Yay, Kai!! He does look surprised in that first picture - so adorable!

Kim said...

Look at Kai! That is so great. He is just darling. His little face can just light up a room.

Melissa Swartley said...

Woo hoo!!! Go Kai!!! What a great acheivement! He is just too cute sitting up all by himself! :)

Emily said...

I just happened to see your blog from Knoah's (Tonya's) blog. Great job sitting up Kai!:)

Dana said...

I wandered over to your blog from Sonya Swartley's because I kept seeing this adorable little boy on her friend list. I have to tell you, Kai is one of the CUTEST things I have ever seen! I love his big blue eyes and chubby cheeks! He is a doll! (and I love his name)

Kasia and Amelia said...

Hello Kai! I would like to introduce Amelia, she is my lovely daughter and she has achondroplasia. I love your blog and I am very inspired. I love the saying on the bottom about the tasks and abilities... I wish you all a lot of love, health and happiness. Kasia and Ami

KrisBeMi said...

hello my name is Kristal i have a daughter named Mileena who also has distrophic dysplasia. We messaged Grants parents as well as we are so excited to see a family just like ours..it gave us a feelings as if we just found long lost siblings lol. Well kai is so gorgeous may god bless him and your family! would love to chat about experiences since i really have noone to talk too with same problems..ebkbmb0314@yahoo.com

KrisBeMi said...

oh one more thing i would love to make a website as well but i dont know how if you can email me telling me how to go about it that would be great. thanks much.