At 26 gestational weeks, after an amniocentesis and genetic testing, he was diagnosed with Diastrophic Dysplasia, a rare type of dwarfism.

Now 8 years old, our son Kai is happy, healthy, and enjoying life.

The purpose of this blog is to lend support and encouragement to others in similar situations and to share the tremendous experiences we've had and will continue to have as we raise our little, little boy.

Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Classic Conditioning

Kai cracks me up. The kid is simply brimming with personality. He often refuses to take a bottle; he prefers to nurse and dash it all, he's not going to settle for anything less than what he wants! So today I was trying to feed him a bottle but he wasn't havin' it. He threw his head back and screamed his little heart out. At that point there was only one thing that could calm him down. I laid him down on the bed, as though preparing to nurse him (we are laying-down nursers, he and I, not so much sitting-up nursers). As soon as he heard the un-snap of my nursing bra, he quieted down and made what I like to call his "nursing face" which, if you're a mom, you're probably familiar with. His eyes get all intense, he kind of hyperventilates with excitement, and his mouth puckers and opens, waiting--it's adorable and very funny. I, however, had no intentions of nursing him so as soon as he made the nursing face I stuck the bottle in his mouth and lay beside him, holding my breath. He took it! He gulped down half of it as though his life depended on it. I burped him and laid him back down to take the rest of the bottle. He refused. I snapped and unsnapped my nursing bra. I put the bottle in his mouth. He took it and gulped it down like a champ. lol.


Oh, how I adore this child! He is truly a delight.

5 comments:

cassi said...

Hahaha...I am Cracking Up!!! That is awesome!!!!!

Daniel and Leslie said...

See....even the little guy knows what is going on. Children are too smart!!

Lexi said...

What a funny little boy. Parker is the same way, once he gets into "nursing position", he calms down and gets ready. Sometimes if he's crying Jeff will get him in position and put a pacifier in his mouth. Isn't it fun to trick little kids? lol

Sarah said...

I wanted to introduce myself...I just found your blog (through Tonya's). My name is Sarah, I have a little girl (19 months) Kaela with a rare form of dwarfism and a 3 year old boy William ah. We have a blog at adayinkaelaslife.blogspot.com. I loved this post. It was too funny. Kai is so cute! I love all the cute photos you have of him. So adorable. I look forward to getting to know your family. Let me know if I could link you with our blog.

Gretchen4905 said...

That's so funny. I just found your blog through a friend and her and I have Diastrophic Dwarfism - or as we call it - DD :) I was born with an open palette (just the roof of my mouth, not my lips)and couldn't nurse or take a bottle (unless it was a sheeps nipple)until it was closed up, so you're lucky he can do either one. Kai is definitely adorable and sounds like a ball of energy!
I love the site! Keep it up! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?sid=a1c311c27edaff8f7d5b9a5a15329ff4&id=1388927836&hiq=gretchen%2Cbuckalew